Bushfire Recovery and Information - Shire of Manjimup

Latest updates will be posted on our website. Donations will be accepted via Direct Deposit BSB 036 126 Account No 830 418 Shire of Manjimup Trust Fund Account or in person at the Shire of Manjimup Administration Office. Latest updates ...

News

30 March 2015

MEDIA RELEASE – Southern Forests region shines brightly

March 2015

The Southern Forests Region is the target of a new tourism campaign to aid in the recovery of Northcliffe and surrounding areas following the recent bushfire.  The Hon. Dr Kim Hames MLA, Minister for Tourism, recently launched the $200,000 campaign, which will include newpaper, radio, online and social media marketing.   

“We have real evidence that the bushfires have had a negative impact on tourism operators, and therefore other businesses, within the region,” explained Shire President Wade DeCampo.  “This funding is really to assist those businesses to bounce back from this downturn and help put the region on the map in a positive light.”

“The message we want out there is that the Southern Forests is open for business, it is safe, and there is more to see and do than most people actually realise.”

The first stage of the awareness campaign started with an advertisement which ran in The West and the Sunday Times.  The focused advertisement featured a call to action, urging potential visitors to go to the Australia's South West (ASW) website, where there is detailed destination information about the Southern Forests region and accommodation/price information.  The first stage will run until 1 April, with the second stage commencing in mid-may.  

“There is something special about the Southern Forests region that will be captured as a part of this campaign, and promoted to the rest of the State and nation,” said Cr DeCampo.  “Having the support of the State in doing so is invaluable.”

The campaign is being developed and coordinated by Tourism WA and Australia’s South West, with input from the Shire of Manjimup. 

Click here to view the media statement from Tourism Minister Kim Hames.

-ENDS-

Authorised by Andrew Campbell, Chief Executive Officer, Shire of Manjimup.

Contact: 9771 7777

Contact for comment: Wade DeCampo, Shire President.

Contact: 0427 094 081

Contact Gina Nieuwendyk, Public Relations Officer, Shire of Manjimup

Contact: 9771 7777 OR 0401 352 991

25 March 2015

MEDIA RELEASE – Prescribed burning – a priority for the regions                                

March 2015

Before the Northcliffe bushfire had even been contained, Shire President Wade DeCampo was advocating with the Hon. Albert Jacob MLA - Minister for Environment, along with The Hon. Terry Redman MLA - Minister for Regional Development, for additional funding to go towards an increase in prescribed burning across the State.  Minister Redman, who is also the State Member for Warren-Blackwood, last week made a pledge to dedicate a portion of Royalties for Regions funding to that purpose.   

Cr DeCampo has spoken out in defence, of Minister Redman, who has found himself defending the validity of the use of Royalties for Regions money for prescribed burning and also rejecting the suggestion that this funding source will replace the State’s general budget allocation towards prescribed burning. “Comments questioning the validity of the use of Royalties for Regions funding for prescribed burning are both frivolous and unhelpful,” said Cr DeCampo.

Royalties for Regions funding has been aimed at improving the quality of life in the regional communities and making them more sustainable.   “If, for example, Royalties for Regions funding is utilised to put a roof on a community hall to protect and preserve that asset for the community, then putting that money towards prescribed burning is no different as it can essentially protect several assets and often entire communities,” said Cr DeCampo. 

The prescribed burning target of 200,000ha per year hasn’t been achieved for many years. Cr DeCampo also agrees with Minister Redman’s rationale of using Royalties for Regions as a platform to meeting the State’s prescribed burning targets, explaining “this will help get the prescribed burns back on track, and will hopefully assist the State Government with getting future spending priorities on target as well.  When it comes to community safety, one would assume that bipartisan support will prevail.”

“If anything good is to come from this 100,000ha fire that saw Northcliffe under imminent threat and had three other communities on alert, we hope it is that people across the state become more aware of the importance of prescribed burning, and that the 200,000ha of prescribed burn per annum target is exceeded.”

“It’s about doing something to reduce the risk and likelihood of another wildfire, through prescribed burning, in order to protect the increasing population of regional communities all over Western Australia.”

Pictured above: The Hon Terry Redman MLA addresses the community meeting during the Northcliffe bushfires in February 2015.

-ENDS-

Authorised by Andrew Campbell, Chief Executive Officer, Shire of Manjimup.

Contact: 9771 7777

Contact for comment: Wade DeCampo, Shire President.

Contact: 0427 094 081

Contact Gina Nieuwendyk, Public Relations Officer, Shire of Manjimup

Contact: 9771 7777 OR 0401 352 991

18 March 2015

MEDIA RELEASE – Coastal investment opportunities in Windy Harbour

March 2015

The Shire of Manjimup has released twelve 20-year lease sites at the coastal holiday settlement of Windy Harbour, which are for sale by tender.  Time is running out for interested parties to make a submission, with tenders only being accepted up until 3pm on Tuesday 31 March 2015.

“The coastal hamlet of Windy Harbour has been a favourite for both locals and visitors for years,” said Shire President Wade DeCampo.  “There is something very special and unique about Windy Harbour that sets it apart from other coastal holiday spots.”  

Windy Harbour, which is situated only 80km south of Manjimup, sits on 190 hectares of class ‘A’ reserve for the purposes of recreation, camping, caravan and holiday cottages.  “The closest town is only 27km away, but it’s secluded enough to really make you feel like you’ve escaped; its as though you’re sheltered from the rest of the world.” 

The sites are suitable for the development of holiday cottages only, which can be used for periods of up to, but not exceeding, six months in any rental year.  Lease sites will be cleared and partially levelled prior to the close of the tender, and road access and connection to the Windy Harbour water supply will be included in the sale price. In accordance with the lease agreement, there is an option of the first right of refusal for the lessee to renew after 20 years, and if sold before the expiration of the lease, the new lease term is also 20 years.

Tender documents are available on the Shire of Manjimup website via http://www.manjimup.wa.gov.au/windy-harbour, at the Shire of Manjimup Administration Office, the Caretakers Cottage at Windy Harbour or by phoning Roy Winslow at the Shire on 9771 7777.   

“The tender process has been made really simple,” said Shire President Wade DeCampo.  “Part five of the ‘request for tender’ documents is basically a form that needs to be completed and signed by the party or parties who are the tenderer, and then submitted to the Shire of Manjimup by 3pm on Tuesday 31 March 2015.”

Tenders should be marked "Tender 1-14 2015 Individual Sale of Twelve (12) Additional Twenty (20) Year Land Leases at Windy Harbour" and delivered to the tender box, Shire of Manjimup Administration Centre, 37-39 Rose Street, Manjimup or posted to PO Box 1, Manjimup WA 6258 or online at tenders@manjimup.wa.gov.au or by facsimile on 9771 7771.  Tenders received by facsimile cannot be assured of confidentiality.

“This sort of opportunity hasn’t come up in years, so if you’re interested, take a chance.”

-ENDS-

Authorised by Andrew Campbell, Chief Executive Officer, Shire of Manjimup.

Contact: 9771 7777

Contact Gina Nieuwendyk, Public Relations Officer, Shire of Manjimup

Contact: 9771 77770.

Contact for comment: Wade DeCampo, Shire President.

Contact: 0427 094 081

13 March 2015

MEDIA RELEASE – Road safety reminder

March 2015

Following a recent spate of traffic accidents on local roads, particularly with international travelers, Shire President Wade DeCampo is urging everybody in the community to go ‘back to basics’ and brush up on their road rules. 

“As we all know, our region relies heavily on the itinerant workforce, or backpackers as they’re more commonly known, particularly in the agriculture industry,” said Cr DeCampo.  “Unfortunately, these international visitors are often driving in markedly different conditions to what they are used to.”

Currently, visitors to Western Australia may drive only those vehicles that they are authorised to drive on their overseas licence, for as long as that licence remains valid in the country of issue.  (Source: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au)

“So many things are different on WA roads, particularly in the country.  It’s not just the side of the road that we drive on, it’s the speed zones, road signs, and different conditions, that could potentially be very daunting for people who haven’t been driving in this country for very long,” Cr DeCampo said.

As at 8 March 2015 the current WA road toll was 31, with 18 of those fatalities being on country roads.  (Source: http://www.ors.wa.gov.au/Statistics)

Cr DeCampo believes that it is incumbent on the whole community to play a part in keeping the roads safe, saying “we can’t forget that the English language may be their second language and often they are unable to read English very well.  They may also be from countries where higher speeds are accepted.”

“Anybody who has regular contact with members of the itinerant workforce – be that accommodation providers, employers or friends – has an inherent duty of care in assisting them with learning the road rules, and ensuring them that our roads are safe when these road rules are abided by,” said Cr DeCampo. 

The Shire of Manjimup is facilitating the collection of donations, and Stewart Ipsen will be coordinating the distribution of funds collected, which will go towards assisting the families of those in the car accident on Channybearup road on Saturday 7 March.  Donations can be made into the Shire of Manjimup Trust Account, BSB 036 126 Account No 830 418 with reference ITA070315, or by visiting the Shire of Manjimup Administration Office. 

-ENDS-

Authorised by Andrew Campbell, Chief Executive Officer, Shire of Manjimup.

Contact: 9771 7777

Contact for comment: Wade DeCampo, Shire President.

Contact: 0427 094 081

Contact Gina Nieuwendyk, Public Relations Officer, Shire of Manjimup

Contact: 9771 7777 OR 0401 352 991

13 March 2015

MEDIA RELEASE – Landowners get re-wired after the fires

March 2015

The Shire of Manjimup has been working closely with a group of Northcliffe landowners, representing those who have been impacted by the recent O’Sullivan and Unicup bushfires, to organise for over 115km of fencing to be reinstated.   

Shire President Wade DeCampo explained that “fencing on 92 rural properties across 56 holdings has been affected by the fire, so of course the logistics around dismantling and reinstating fencing, including the sourcing of material, has been one of the priorities for the business continuity sub-committee during the recovery phase.”

Following two meetings with property owners, a proposal from Southern Wire to provide access to fencing materials at a reduced cost was endorsed.  This includes the provision of two ‘Rapid Fencer’ machines, capable of erecting up to 6km of fencing a day. Five Manjimup suppliers have been given the responsibility of managing the orders for fencing material for eligible landowners. 

In addition, Blazeaid, a volunteer organisation with a well-known track record of rebuilding fences and other structures in post-disaster areas around Australia, have set-up camp at Northcliffe Recreation Centre.  Blazeaid representative Brian Carr will be coordinating volunteers to help out, along with Bunbury Mens Shed who have also bought a group of volunteers to the area.  The local community and Manjimup Lions Club are providing support to these volunteers including the preparation of food for them and providing white goods. 

To access volunteer assistance, landowners need to complete a form which provides their property details and the nature of the work that is required. Fencing projects will be prioritised according to the extent of perimeter fencing required and whether there is livestock present.  A group of approximately six volunteers are allocated to each project and will work under the direction of the individual farmer. 

“We’re anticipating that there will be volunteers in the region for up to three months, depending on the number of landowners who take up the initiative, and the number of volunteers that come forward,” said Cr DeCampo. 

Cr DeCampo thanked the volunteers for their time and efforts, saying “again our region is being blessed with the kindness of volunteers, who were instrumental during the fire and are proving to be the same in the recovery phase.”

To register interest in volunteering or to enquire about fencing assistance contact Brian Carr from Blazeaid on 0488 642 579 / northcliffe.blazeaid@gmail.com or Cedric Bettley from Bunbury Men’s Shed on 0419 940 381.

Landowners who have not yet nominated to be eligible for reduced cost fencing are urged to contact Paul Bawden, Recovery Coordinator for the Shire of Manjimup on 9771 7777 or email paul.bawden@manjimup.wa.gov.au

Pictured above: Brian Carr from Blazeaid (L) accepting a box of Genuinely Southern Forests produce from Shire of Manjimup Councillor Dean Bavich, Chair of the Recovery Committee.

-ENDS-

Authorised by Andrew Campbell, Chief Executive Officer, Shire of Manjimup.

Contact: 9771 7777

Contact for comment: Wade DeCampo, Shire President.

Contact: 0427 094 081

Contact Gina Nieuwendyk, Public Relations Officer, Shire of Manjimup

Contact: 9771 7777 OR 0401 352 991

12 March 2015

MEDIA RELEASE – Fire permits and regulated burning times

March 2015

Zone six in the Shire of Manjimup, encompassing Northcliffe and Walpole, entered the restricted burning period on 1 March 2015 which continues until 12 April 2015.  During the restricted burning period, burning can only be carried out with a permit from the Fire Control Officer for the Volunteer Brigade.  Permits are generally issued with conditions attached to them, which must be adhered to for the safety of the whole community.

 “We don’t want to stop controlled permitted burns during the restricted period, because it is normal practice and they contribute to the overall safety of the community.  We understand the fragility of the community following the recent bushfire, and we all need to be cognizant and sensitive of what they’re going through; unnecessary angst can be avoided if permit holders are vigilant with adhering to the conditions on the permit,” explained Shire President Wade DeCampo. 

“Most permits aren’t actually issued by the Shire.  Residents can contact the Fire Control Officer of their local volunteer bushfire brigade, who have the local knowledge and understanding of the area, and who will make sure the conditions are suited to the area of the burn and the weather patterns of the day.”

The regulated burning times for all zones are detailed below, which are detailed in the Firebreak and Fuel Hazard Notice 2014/2015, issued in 2014 by the Shire of Manjimup, which also contains the attached information on volunteer brigades and contact details of the Fire Control Officers. 

The Shire of Manjimup is working closely with the Office of Bushfire Risk Management, who are currently reviewing the permit to burn process. 

 “The most important message is for people to abide by the regulated burning periods, and it is crucial to stick to the conditions that are included on burn permits because they are there for a reason,” said Cr DeCampo. 

Click here to view the Firebreak and Fuel Hazard Notice 2014/2015.

-ENDS-

 

Authorised by Andrew Campbell, Chief Executive Officer, Shire of Manjimup.

Contact: 9771 7777

Contact for comment: Wade DeCampo, Shire President.

Contact: 0427 094 081

Contact Gina Nieuwendyk, Public Relations Officer, Shire of Manjimup

Contact: 9771 7777 OR 0401 352 991

10 March 2015

MEDIA RELEASE – Prime Minister visits Northcliffe Fire Zone

March 2015

The Shire of Manjimup was yesterday visited by the Prime Minister of Australia, Tony Abbott.  The Prime Minister arrived on a whirlwind stopover which was organised by Rick Wilson MP, Federal Member for O’Connor, with the purpose being to give the Prime Minister some insight into the effort that went into controlling the fire and the recovery initiatives that are now being rolled out.

“We are honoured that Mr Wilson has taken the time and effort to organise this visit from the Prime Minister,” said Shire President Wade DeCampo. “As we can all imagine, the Prime Minister’s schedule is a busy one, but nonetheless his interest and awareness regarding the bushfire incident was humbling, and this certainly demonstrates the significance of what has occurred in Northcliffe.” 

The Prime Minister and Rick Wilson were briefed by Department of Parks and Wildlife and Department of Fire and Emergency Services personnel who were involved in the incident control operations during the fire, who described the magnitude of the bushfire and actions that were put into place to defend assets and prevent further spread.

“1,600 people were involved in the incident control, in excess of 98,000 hectares of land was burnt making it the largest fire the South West has ever seen, there was trilateral cooperation between federal, state and local government that ran seamlessly, 600 firefighters were deployed from interstate, the Royal Australian Air Force was involved, the list goes on.  This is why he visited,” explained Cr DeCampo.

Following the briefing, the Prime Minister was greeted by approximately 50 guests, including Northcliffe volunteer bushfire brigade personnel, operations personnel, affected landowners and other volunteers, at an afternoon tea also organised by Rick Wilson.   

“When the Prime Minister addressed the gathering, he spoke about how impressed he is with how the whole community of Northcliffe banded together during what must have been a very wrenching and disrupting experience,” relayed Cr DeCampo. 

“He acknowledged everybody’s efforts, whether they were at the afternoon tea or not.  Whilst he didn’t get to meet with the whole community, his recognition of everyone involved speaks volumes.”

“Rick Wilson also came down to Pemberton during the fires and attended a Community Meeting, and it was great to see Nola Merino, Member for Forrest, at the afternoon tea, whose interest and support still extends into her former electorate,” said Cr DeCampo. 

PIctured above: Prime Minister Tony Abbott (Centre) with Rick Wilson MP (left), receive a briefing from John Gillard from the Department of Parks and Wildlife in Northcliffe on Monday 9 March 2015.

 

-ENDS-

Authorised by Andrew Campbell, Chief Executive Officer, Shire of Manjimup.

Contact: 9771 7777

Contact for comment: Wade DeCampo, Shire President.

Contact: 0427 094 081

Contact Gina Nieuwendyk, Public Relations Officer, Shire of Manjimup

Contact: 9771 7777 OR 0401 352 991

Subscribe to the RSS feed