MEDIA RELEASE – Manjimup announced as a celebration community for the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Queen's Baton Relay
The Queen's Baton Relay is coming to Manjimup and you can be a part of its journey to the start of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018).
The Queens Baton Relay launches from Buckingham Palace in London on 13 March this year containing a message from Her Majesty the Queen. The Baton will travel to all nations and territories of the Commonwealth before arriving in Australia where the Baton will travel around Australia for 100 days. When the Queen's Baton arrives at the Opening Ceremony of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games, Her Majesty's message will be removed from the Baton and read aloud to declare the Games open.
3,800 Batonbearers are needed to carry the Baton across Australia and online nominations are now open for 10 weeks until 15 May 2017.
"It is an honour to be chosen as a celebration community for the Baton Relay, as it will lift the profile of our amazing region, showcasing some of the Commonwealth's most spectacular natural landscapes as the Baton travels through," explained Shire President Paul Omodei. "Everyone has a local hero, their inspiration or mentor, and these are the people you need to nominate to be a part of local and national history as a Batonbearer," said Cr Omodei.
GOLDOC Chairman Peter Beattie AC said "As it travels through the country the Baton will bring people together from across our nation's vast and varied landscapes, from red deserts to rainforests and mountains to islands, from our city precincts to beyond the black stumps. It's a journey that is sure to increase our sense of connection and understanding of each other."
To nominate, visit www.gc2018.com/qbr and write 100 words about why someone inspires you. GC2018 are looking for people who:
- Have achieved something extraordinary or inspired others to achieve something extraordinary; or
- Have made a significant contribution to either sport, education, the arts, culture, charity or within their community; or
- Have excelled, or aspire to excel athletically or personally; or
- Contribute to a fun, friendly, vibrant and inclusive community;
- Are at least 10 years old as at 25 December 2017; and
- Are an Australia Citizen or lawfully entitled to reside in Australia during the Relay period (25 December 2017 – 4 April 2018).
Authorised by Andrew Campbell, Chief Executive Officer
Contact Gina Nieuwendyk, Coordinator Communication and Executive Support
Contact: 9771 7777
Contact for comment: Paul Omodei, Shire President.
Contact: 0448 810 773