A Brief History
The name Manjimup was derived from the aboriginal word "Manjin" – a special edible reed and "up" meaning meeting place.
The area was first settled in 1856 near the present town site of Manjimup. The area has strong links with the timber industry and other industries include horticulture, agriculture, viticulture, dairying, aquaculture and tourism.
The Shire area was first included in the Plantagenet Wellington and Sussex Road Districts in 1871. Later the area was included in the Nelson Road Board District.
The Warren Road District was formed on 3 July 1908 and consisted of 7 elected members. In June 1925, the Warren Road District name was changed to the Manjimup Road District. The number of members was changed to 9, then in 1928 to 10 and then 13 in 1953. From May 2003 elected member numbers were reduced to 11.
With the enactment of the Local Government Act 1960, the Manjimup Road District name was changed to the Shire of Manjimup effective from 1 July 1961.
Giblett Street 1910
Giblett Street 1912