Roads, Drains And Crossovers


Each year the Shire spends approximately $950,000 on providing minor maintenance to the Shire’s road network.  Most minor maintenance works are provided on a programmed basis, including:

• Road sweeping
• Patching of potholes
• Grading of gravelled roads and road shoulders
• Installing guide posts
• Weed control

In addition to these services, the Shire also undertakes works on an emergency basis, including removal of fallen trees.

Should you have any queries regarding the maintenance of the Shire’s roads an email can be sent to or by calling (08) 9771 7777.


The section of your driveway between the edge of the road and the boundary of a property is called a crossover. It is the landowner’s responsibility to construct and maintain the crossover.

A person constructing a crossover may seek a contribution from the Shire towards the cost of construction. For further details and specifications download the crossover specifications, and a contribution application form.

Urban Specifications
Rural Specifications
Subsidy Application Form

Urban Crossover
Crossovers in urban areas are to be constructed in accordance with Council's specifications for urban crossovers. These specifications also apply for commercial premises.
Urban crossovers can be constructed in bitumen, concrete or brickpaved.

Rural Crossover
Crossovers in rural areas are to be constructed in accordance with Council's specifications for rural crossovers.
Rural crossovers can be constructed either in bitumen (where they abut a bitumen road surface) or gravel. Where necessary, culverts and headwalls are to be installed.
You will need to contact an officer from the Technical Services Department for location approval prior to commencement.

Once the crossover has been constructed an application for a crossover subsidy can be submitted to Council and must include all receipts for its construction and be lodged within 12 months following its construction. Once received, a Technical Services Department officer will attend and inspect the crossover and if deemed constructed in accordance with Council's specifications, a cheque will be forwarded to you. If it does not conform, a letter will be forwarded explaining what remedial works are required.
Once these works have been completed, you then advise Council and the officer will again inspect the crossover.
Crossover subsidies vary in accordance with the type of rural crossover constructed.


The Shire maintains a drainage network designed to prevent flooding of roads and property. As part of this maintenance, sweeping of roads and cleaning of gullies/table drains is undertaken, on a scheduled basis, to reduce build up of leaf litter and other rubbish within the drains. Although a considerable level of effort is undertaken, leaves and debris washed from private property can still block the drainage network. Residents can assist in preventing flooding by clearing any leaves or other debris from drainage grates on the road.

Should you have any queries regarding the Shire’s drainage system an email can be sent to or by calling (08) 9771 7777.


Road kerbing in urban areas is installed as a part of the Shire’s drainage network. Road kerbs both direct water into the drainage system and provide a channel for controlling minor to larger storm events. Due to the importance of road kerbing, in preventing property flooding, a standard kerb is used throughout the Shire. It is important in maintaining the drainage network that residents do not remove or tamper with the kerb. This includes placing bitumen or concrete between the kerb and the road.
Should you have any queries regarding the Shire’s kerbing; an email can be sent to or by calling (08) 9771 7777.


The Shire constructs footpaths on a priority basis; this is determined through the consideration of a number of criteria, including the distance of the path from schools, shops and recreation centres, traffic volumes and housing density.

To assist pedestrians, residents are requested to ensure that any trees and shrub branches are prevented from growing over footpaths from private property or the adjacent verge.

The Shire has implemented a scheduled annual/bi-annual footpath inspection and maintenance programme for the whole of the Shire. Footpath may be repaired when cracked or uplifted by more than 20mm.  Should you see a damaged or broken footpath, please report the damage type and location to the Shire on 08 9771 7777 or email to

Should you have any queries regarding the Shire’s footpath network; an email can be sent to or by calling (08) 9771 7777.


The Shire maintains street name signs, parking signs and ‘No Through Road’ signs. All other signage, except advertising signs, are the responsibility of Main Roads WA. Should you see a damaged or broken sign, please report the sign type and location to Main Roads WA on their free call number 1800 800 009. Alternately you can email Main Roads WA at


Western Power is responsible for the maintenance of street lights.

The Shire is responsible for the payment of electricity and the installation of street lights.

To report faulty street lights please call Western Power’s free call number, 1800 622 008. Alternately you can email Western Power at

When reporting faulty street lights you will need to know the following information:
1. The name of the street/s the light/s is/are out on.
2. If it is an individual light out, you need to:
• obtain the pole number if possible;
• its nearest intersecting street name; or
• the house number in the street closest to the pole
• the name of the person reporting the faults; and
• a contact phone number of the person reporting the fault.
Western Power will then advise that it has been logged into the system and may give you the faults report number.
Western Power has given a commitment to have reported faults fixed within 10 working days. Should the problem exceed that period since you reported it, again phone Western Power and advise the operator of the faults report number and the period it has not been fixed.

Please note street lights are not installed for the purpose of private property security.

Should you have any queries regarding the street lighting; an email can be sent to or by calling (08) 9771 7777.

Should you want to dig within the road reserve or under the road, you are required to obtain a Road Excavation Permit from the Technical Services Department at the Shire office. You will then be advised of the following:

1. An onsite inspection is required with an officer from the Technical Services to determine exactly what is required.
2. A "Road Opening Permit" is to be completed and submitted to Council with a $500 bond. The bond is required to ensure that all works are completed to the required standards.
3. A declared rare flora and fauna survey is to be completed by the Department of Conservation (DEC) officers and will be arranged by this office prior to the commencement of any works.
4. A traffic management plan is also required to ensure the safety of road users and the public in general. The traffic management plan also ensures that the correct signage is used and that the works are undertaken in the correct manner, particularly regarding the issue of public liability.
5. Once the works have been completed and reinstatement is to the satisfaction of Council, the $500 bond will be refunded in full.


Road Closures - Permanently

This process is used when an adjoining landowner wishes to purchase and amalgamate the road reserve into their existing property.
A written request must be forwarded to Council with all the relevant information and once received if the officer considers it appropriate to continue processing, a written request to you will include:

1. The standard road closure fee. This fee is to cover all administration and advertising costs associated with the closure.
2. An indemnity against Council for any necessary costs incurred in the closure. These will include survey and title amendment fees.
3. When the fees have been received, the officer will proceed with the closure, which will include a 35 day advertising period to seek comments from the public.
4. A letter is to be sent to all service authorities including Telstra, Department of Environment and Conservation (DEC), Western Power, Alinta Gas, Water Corporation and any adjacent property owners.
5. At the end of the 35 day advertising period, an agenda item is then presented to Council for resolution. The agenda item will be based on the comments received to determine the officer's recommendation.
6. You will be sent a copy of the agenda item and given an opportunity to speak to Council at the scheduled Council meeting.
7. Should the closure be approved, following the Council meeting, all the necessary documentation will be forwarded onto the Department of Land Administration (DOLA) for processing. DOLA will then be the Government body that you will continue negotiations with in regards to purchasing the road reserve.
8. If the closure is not approved, 50% of the road closure fee will be returned to you and the documentation will be duly filed.

Road Closures - Temporary Closures up to 4 years

Temporary closure process is used to close a road that may be required in the future but can be closed for the interim period. The land still remains under the control of the local government.

1. A written request must be forwarded to Council and include all the relevant information including the purpose and extent of the closure. Once received, if the officer considers it appropriate to continue processing, the following will occur.
2. A letter will be sent to all service authorities, which include Telstra, Western Power, the Department of Environment and Conservation (DEC), Alinta Gas and Water Corporation and adjoining property owners for their comments within a suitable timeframe.
3. Dependent on what comments are received, an officer will assess the comments and if found appropriate, close the road by the placement of appropriate bollards or the like.
4. The process will need to occur at the conclusion of four (4) years should the closure be required.

Road Closures - Temporary for an event

This process is used for a temporary short term closure for the period of an event such as the community Christmas party, Cherry Festival etc.

1. You will need to contact an officer from the Technical Services Department and forward a written request at least 3 months in advance of the function.
2. You will be advised to obtain an "Application for an Order for a Road Closure" form from the nearest Police Station where the event is to be held.
3. On the reverse side of the form, you will need to obtain permission from all residents or businesses in the vicinity of the proposed road closure.
4. A Traffic Management Plan showing the alternate route and signage must also to be submitted at the time of the "Order for a Road Closure" form.
5. Once the traffic management plan and form are received by the Technical Services Department, an officer will review the arrangements and should any discussion or site inspection be necessary, will undertake a site inspection.
6. Once accepted, the Chief Executive Officer will then sign his approval and the documentation will be forwarded to Main Roads WA for their clearance, if required. The form will then be returned direct to you for final clearance from the local police.
7. Dependent on what the purpose of the road closure is, Council staff will be responsible for the placement and removal of the road warning signs in accordance with the traffic management plan. This may incur a fee depending on the events purpose i.e. commercial versus community.


Removal of road reserve vegetation for the purpose of installing new fencing and road access shall be access by assessed by Technical Services Officer in accordance with the Shire’s Policy 9.1.8 Road Reserve Vegetation Management and a permit granted before the works are undertaken by residents.

Removal of dangerous trees in road reserve threatening private property must be assessed and permit granted by Council in accordance with the Shire’s Policy 9.1.8 Road Reserve Vegetation Management before the trees are removed.

Tree removal in the Shire road reserve along property boundary requires a permit from the Shire and the Department of Environment and Conservation.

The Shire has implemented a scheduled annual verge tree pruning programme for the whole of the Shire. Trees may be pruned when they are nearing power lines or where branches overhang the road or footpaths. When a tree is attended to by the Shire, for any purpose, the tree will also be under pruned to height of 1.5m.

Should the verge tree be a naturally occurring tree, under power lines, Western Power takes responsibility for the pruning of these trees. Please contact Western Power on 13 13 51.

Should you have any queries regarding the Shire’s verge trees or wish to register for the annual tree planting; an email can be sent to or by calling (08) 9771 7777.


This usually occurs when a landowner has had his property re-surveyed to install a new fence and discovers that the one or more of the survey pegs are located within the road or on the opposite side of the road. Where the roads are Shire roads then by contacting the Shire council the issue can be resolved by Council resuming part of your property for inclusion within the road reserve.

Should you discover that your property boundaries are located within a road or on the other side of a road then the following is required:

1. Contact an officer from the Technical Services Department who will arrange to meet you on site to investigate and discuss the issue.
2. Following confirmation of a Shire road "cutting through" a property, Council will then employ a licensed surveyor to undertake survey works to confirm the exact dimensions of the problem.
3. Once survey works are completed the owner of the land will be asked to sign off on the survey plan depicting the proposed land resumption.
4. Council then requests the Valuer General's office to value the land and then negotiates the payment for the resumed land with the landowner.
5. Once the landowner and Council have agreed on the resumption, Officers from the Technical Services Department will progress the resumption with the Department of Land Administration (DOLA) and the Department of Planning and Infrastructure.
6. The landowner will be contacted and paid once new titles have been issued by DOLA.

The overall process from first contact through to the issue of new titles and payment can take up to two (2) years to complete.
It is expected that no cost for the resumption, once identified, shall be borne by the landowner.



Residents are permitted to carry out light under pruning and/or side pruning of their verge trees for the following reasons:

  • vision problems;
  • removal of broken branches;
  • trimming of branches over fence lines;
  • trimming of branches for aesthetic purposes, and
  • pruning when trees are nearing power lines.


Should you identify a tree/s you consider to be a danger to the road user, you need to contact an Officer from the Technical Services Department or forward a letter to Council.  You should include:

  1. The exact location of the tree/s (include a map or diagram if possible).
  1. Was this helpful?

* denotes a required field.