Building Services


​​​​​The Shire of Manjimup is committed to providing information and assistance to owners and builders for safe and compliant buildings that will last and have minimum impact on neighbouring properties and the environment.​

In Western Australia, building legislation is governed by the Building Act 2011 (the Act) and the Building Regulations 2012 (the Regulations). The Act and the Regulations define what is building work and stipulate where a building permit is required and the process for obtaining a building permit.

The minimum standards required for all construction in Western Australia are set out in the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and the associated Australian Standards. All building applications must demonstrate compliance with the BCA.

​Building applications - certified or uncertified?

When you apply for a building permit, your application will either be certified or uncertified. Certified applications are those which have been assessed by a Building Surveyor for compliance with the Standards prior to applying. Whereas the Shire's Building Surveyor will assess uncertified applications as part of the permit process. Uncertified applications are only able to be submitted for a Class 1a or Class 10 application.

In either case, a signed certificate of design compliance (CDC) is required before approval can be given. A CDC confirms that a building’s design complies with the applicable building standards.

Once submitted, the Shire has 10 business days to determine a certified application and 25 business days to determine an uncertified application. If an application is missing information or is incomplete, the Shire can 'stop the clock' until it is satisfied that all information and details have been provided.

Building Classes

Class 1​One or more buildings which in association constitute-

Class 1a - a single dwelling being
(i) a detached house
(ii) one of a group of two or more attached dwellings, each being a building, separated by a fire-resisting wall, including a row house, terrace house, town house or villa unit or

Class 1b - a boarding house, guest house, hostel or the like
(i) with a total area of all floors not exceeding 300 m2 measured over the enclosing walls of the Class 1b and
(ii) in which not more than 12 persons would ordinarily be resident

which is not located above or below another dwelling or another Class of building other than a private garage

​Class 2​A building containing 2 or more sole-occupancy units each being a separate dwelling
​Class 3​A residential building, other than a building of class 1 or 2, which is a common place of long term or transient living for a number of unrelated persons, including-

(a) a boarding-house, guest house, hostel, lodging-house or backpackers accommodation; 
(b) a residential part of a hotel or motel;
(c) a residential part of a school;
(d) accommodation for the aged, children or people with disabilities;
(e) a residential part of a health-care building which accommodates members of staff; or
(f) a residential part of a detention centre

Class 4​A dwelling in a building that is Class 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 if it is the only dwelling in the building.
Class 5​An office building used for professional or commercial purposes, excluding buildings of Class 6, 7, 8 or 9
​Class 6​A shop or other building for the sale of goods by retail or the supply of services direct to the public, including—
(a) an eating room, cafe, restaurant, milk or soft-drink bar;
(b) a dining room, bar, shop or kiosk part of a hotel or motel;
(c) a hairdresser’s or barber’s shop, public laundry, or undertaker’s establishment; or
(d) market or sale room, showroom, or service station
​Class 7​A building which is –
(a) Class 7a - a car park; or
(b) Class 7b - for storage, or display of goods or produce for sale by wholesale
​Class 8​A laboratory, or a building in which a handicraft or process for the production, assembling, altering, repairing, packing, finishing, or cleaning of goods or produce is carried on for trade, sale, or gain
​Class 9​A building of a public nature –
(a) Class 9a - a health-care building, including those parts of the building set aside as a laboratory or
(b) Class 9b - an assembly building, including a trade workshop, laboratory or the like in a primary or secondary school, but excluding any other parts of the building that are of another Class or
(c) Class 9c - an aged care building
​Class 10​A non-habitable building or structure –
(a) Class 10a - a non-habitable building being a private garage, carport, shed, or the like or
(b) Class 10b - a structure being a fence, mast, antenna, retaining or free-standing wall, swimming pool, or the like
(c) Class 10c - a private bushfire shelter
Page reviewed: 13 Feb 2020 2:47pm