Unauthorised buildings

Under section 9 of the Building Act, it is an offence to commence building work unless a building permit is in place. Any building or structure which is not exempt under Clause 2 of Schedule 4 of the Regulations, that has been constructed, structurally altered or extended without a building permit is classed as an unauthorised structure and may be considered a prosecutable offence under the Act.

Should you wish to legitimise an unauthorised structure, you will be required to engage a private building surveyor to assess the building and to recommend any works necessary to meet BCA standards. Building permits may be required for any remedial works. Your building surveyor will guide you through the process and once satisfied, will issue you with a Certificate of Building Compliance. You can then apply to the Shire for a building approval ​certificate.

This can be a complicated process and the Shire recommends that you organise a meeting with a Shire Officer, or a private building surveyor, to discuss the steps with all available plans and documents associated with the building.

Please contact Building Services on 9771 7777 or email to buildingservices@manjimup.wa.gov.au to arrange a meeting.

For a list of registered Building Surveyors, visit the Building Commission website.

Page reviewed: 04 May 2016 11:04am