‚ÄčAccommodation businesses catering for more than 6 people must register annually as a lodging house via the Schedule 6 form and comply with the Part 9 of the Shire's Health Local Law. Planning approval is also required. A lodging house is any establishment that accommodates more than 6 persons (excluding the family operating the business) and includes any number of accommodation buildings on a single lot. Lodging houses include motels that do not have a publican's general liquor licence, backpacker establishments, dwellings, chalets and rural workers accommodation buildings.

Hotels and taverns, which presumably have a publican's general liquor licence, are exempt from the requirement of the Schedule 6 form as their accommodation facilities are registered as part of their liquor licencing requirements.

When a registered lodging house is sold, the new owner must notify the Shire using the Schedule 8 form.

Short term holiday accommodation catering for 6 or less people is not classed as a lodging house and as such does not require registration as an accommodation business. However, planning approval is still required.

For more information on lodging houses, please refer to our information sheet or call the Shire's Environmental Health team on 9771 7777.

Page reviewed: 14 Jan 2016 10:02am