Road closures

Permanent closures

Road closures are processed in accordance with Section 58 of the Land Administration Act 1997 (LAA). The LAA is administered by the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage (DPLH).

The following process is used when an adjoining landowner wishes to close and subsequently  amalgamate a road reserve into their existing property:

Application Process:

​1.A written request must be forwarded to the Shire's Technical Services Department with all the relevant information including reason for requesting the closure, the exact location and extent of the closure as well as a current location map.
​2.​The Shire will undertake a basic assessment with regards to landlocked issues or possible future road networks
​3.​If the closure is considered appropriate, the Shire will write to the applicant requesting payment of the relevant fees (refer to Shire's Schedule of Fees and Charges). Note the fee is non-refundable.  

Administration Process:

​1.​​Once the relevant fee is paid, Shire Officers will draft an agenda item requesting Council to support in principle the proposed road closure and community consultation of the proposal.  
​2.If approved by Council, the following public advertising / community consultation commences with comments requested within a 35 day period.
  • public notice in local paper;
  • depending on location of closure, public notice in community newspapers;
  • Shire website;
  • letters to agencies and services providers including Telstra, Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA), Western Power, Water Corporation, DPLH (Planning Division) and Department of Mines, Industry Regulation & Safety; and
  • letters to adjoining land owners. ​
​​3.​At the end of the 35 day public consultation period:
  • if no objections are received, all relevant information is forwarded to DPLH, the Government body responsible for negotiating and processing the sale of the closed road reserve.
  • if objections are received, another agenda item will be presented to Council outlining the objections and presenting options. The applicant and any party who has submitted an objection will be advised when the item will be presented to Council for consideration and that they are able to attend.
  • pending Council resolution:
    • If the proposal is rejected, the Shire will write and advise the applicant of the decision including a copy of the agenda item and Council resolution. Fees cannot be refunded.
    • If the proposal is approved, the Shire will write to all parties who provided comments advising them of the decision. All relevant information will then be forwarded to DPLH for finalisation.

Temporary closures up to 4 years

Temporary closure process is used to close a road that may be required in the future but can be closed for the interim period.  The land continues to remain under the control of the local government.

​1.A written request must be forwarded to Council and include all of the relevant information including the purpose and extent of the closure.  Once received, a Technical Services officer will assess the proposed closure and if it is appropriate to continue processing the request.
​2.A letter will be sent to all service authorities which include Telstra, Western Power, the Department of Parks and Wildlife (DPaw), Alinta Gas, Water Corporation and adjoining property owners for their comments within a suitable timeframe.​
​3.The officer will assess the comments and if they deem the closure appropriate, close the road by the placement of bollards or the like.​
​4.​The process will need to occur at the conclusion of four (4) years should the closure be required again.

Temporary closure for an event

This process is used for a temporary short term closure for the period of a public event.

​1.​Contact needs to be made with an officer from the Technical Services department and a written request must be forwarded to the Shire at least 3 months in advance of the event.
​2.​You will be advised to obtain an “Application for an Order for a Road Closure” form from the nearest Police Station where the event is to be held.
​3.On the reverse side of the form, you will need to obtain permission from all residents or businesses in the vicinity of the proposed road closure.​
​4.A traffic management plan showing the alternate route and signage must also be submitted at the time of the “Order for a Road Closure” form.​
​5.​Once the traffic management plan and form are received by the Technical Services Department, an officer will review the arrangements and should any discussion or site inspection be necessary, will undertake a site inspection.
​6.Once accepted, the Chief Executive officer will then sign his approval and the documentation will be forwarded to Main Roads WA for their clearance, if required.  The form will then be returned direct to you for final clearance from the local police.​
​7.​Dependent on what the purpose of the road closure is, Shire staff will be responsible for the placement and removal of the road warning signs in accordance with the traffic management plan.  This may incur a fee depending on the events purpose, ie commercial versus community.​
Page reviewed: 13 Mar 2019 9:42am