Our People & Heritage
The Shire's district was first included as a part of the Plantagenet Wellington and Sussex Road Districts in 1871 and later in the Nelson Road Board District. The Warren Road District was formed on 3 July 1908 and changed to the Manjimup Road District in June 1925. With the enactment of the Local Government Act 1960, the Manjimup Road District name was changed to Shire of Manjimup on 1 July 1961. The Shire celebrated its Centenary in 2008 having provided over 100 years of service to the district.
The Shire of Manjimup is proud of its natural and cultural heritage and works with the community to protect, enhance and interpret this. The Shire's Planning and Environment Department is responsible for the protection of cultural heritage through the provisions of the Local Planning Scheme. It also is responsible for the operation of the Municipal Heritage Inventory for the Shire. The Community Services Directorate supports the development of heritage interpretation in response to community and tourism needs and according to the Shire of Manjimup Heritage Connections Project Implementation Plan.
There are a number of historical societies in the Shire of Manjimup. They collect, record, classify and preserve historic records and engage with the local community and visitors in interpretation of the area's history.