Lighting the Way
Works commenced this week on the Power Upgrade and Sports Field Lighting Project at the Rea Park and Collier Street Reserve in Manjimup. Contractor, Kalamunda Electrics commenced onsite works on Monday 19 June 2023.
The power upgrade is part of the larger Manjimup Rea Park & Collier Street Redevelopment (MRCR) Project which will see the Rea Park and Collier Street Reserve transformed into a premier level sporting facility catering for (high level) sporting events in addition to regular club usage and non-sporting events.
“These are exciting times as we begin the first project component of the major Rea Park & Collier Street Redevelopment. The implementation of the MRCR is a key component of the Shire’s efforts in striving towards meeting the future direction of the Shire’s future sport and recreational facilities mix” commented Shire President Paul Omodei.
Works, as part of this component are expected to take several months to complete, include
- Surveying and marking of all locations – complete.
- Installation of new conduits and pits for electrical and communication cables commencing now for 2 to 3 weeks.
- Installation of cables, switchboards, and event enclosures - July/August.
- Installation of new footings for the new flood lights for the playing fields - July/August.
- Installation of new flood light poles – September.
- Western Power to install new transformer - date to be confirmed.
- Connecting to the new transformer and removal of all old/redundant electrical infrastructure - date to be confirmed.
Over the next few weeks, the contractor will be operating machinery around and between the sporting fields to install the underground conduits. Most of the installation will be done through subsoil drilling, which only requires small temporary holes to be dug at the entry and exits points of the conduits. The benefit of subsoil drilling (as opposed to digging trenches) is that there will be little to no disturbance/damage to the areas under which the conduits will be laid. This type of installation will also cause minimum inconvenience to people using the reserve. On most days the contractor will be finished mid/late afternoon so the works will cause minimum disruption to the sports/clubs.
The Shire secured funding for the power upgrade and field lighting component through a combination of Federal, State and Municipal funding, and subsequently engaged an electrical consultant to develop the electrical and lighting design.
Authorised by Michael Leers, Acting Chief Executive Officer
Contact Sheri Laba, Public Relations Officer
Contact for comment: Paul Omodei, Shire President
Contact: 0448 810 773